Sunday, April 20, 2008

Upon further contemplation.....

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.

Now to focus on the "not want" part...

The intent is recognition that God is the provider of all my needs...he provides for His children, as he provides food for the birds of the air and clothes the lilies of the field, Matthew 6:26-30. But....how many times do I "not want" those green pastures or those quiet water? How many times do I chaff against his provision? How much am I not satified with the abundance he has given me, and want something...not necessarily "more", but something different than He has provided? How often do I not let, or make time, for Him to restore my soul? Hmmmmm.....I feel the need to confess my discontent and ungratefulness! Psalm 34:8 "Taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!"

2 comments:

JPB said...

One of my colleagues just did a series of morning prayers at my school on this very topic ... our tendency to find pretty silly reasons not to want the green pastures of the Kingdom of God.

Mainely Me said...

My thoughts exactly as little Sophie "misspoke" the words of Psalm 23.... So many times my reaction to where God leads me is 'but I don't WANT to go there!' What I am learning is that He really does go with me, He protects, disciplines,comforts me; I am His Child. WOW.