Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tuesday, March 29
Today began with breakfast.  Now I won’t tell you what we have for EVERY meal, but when there is something interestingly different, I will add it in.  We had cereal, with milk and bananas.  Ok so far, you say!  Well, the milk was warm, fresh from the cow!  That was a little harder to swallow.  I ate it because we had a big day ahead, and I didn’t want to waste it.  Lindsey could not make it go down, so I think it was donated to the little puppy!

Oh…and I had my first shower.  It’s a bit like camping here, or maybe it’s more like pioneering!  Whichever one, it’s a little difficult, but I’m putting aside my pride and trying to remember that the rest of the country probably does NOT bathe every day! 
We traveled to Kiev (pronounced KEEV) today for a day of sightseeing and shopping.  We met the bus at the town center, and Vika, who does not speak English.  Her husband does speak some English, but he was meeting us in Kiev.  

Well, the plan had been that Dan was coming with us, but things changed as he got a meeting with the Baptist Group guys in Kiev that morning also, so he had taken off earlier.  So, she was stuck with us 3, for awhile, trying to communicate.  The bus to Kiev took an hour’s drive.  It held 15 (I think) seated passengers, but by the time we arrived in Kiev, any extra standing room had a body crammed in it!  We traded the bus for the subway….and then waited for Vika's husband, Zhenya, to meet up with us.  
We wandered through a park, a mall, down old streets made of rock bricks.  Out of this shopping day, though, I can’t say we have much to show for it.  But rather, we did have a good day.  And as the sun came out, it even warmed up nicely!
 We also met Dan and Julia, the translator, and Irena, another lady from the church, and had lunch at a buffet.  We got lots to sample.  Paul, I did not get any, as I did not know what they were, but they had Veranika, served with sour cream. 
The interesting thing about this statue was that the wind in blowing his coat one way, and the flag the opposite direction.  
  
We visited a Greek Orthodox Monastery, where Zhenya had served before becoming a Christian.  It was interesting, but I think I am done looking at gold topped buildings! 
The above building is their parliament, or as our guide called it the mafia headquarters.  The tents set up in the front were orthodox protesters.  

Our last stop was to the hospital to visit Vasilli.  He was the pastor here for a little.  He had either fallen off a ladder, or a ladder fell on his lower leg and foot.  He was waiting for surgery.  Before we arrived, some of them bought some things for him to eat, fruit, juice, misc. 

Now, the interesting part.  You would never know you were stepping into a hospital, except for the patients around.  I think under communism, they had government health care.  Now the government has no money, so…if you need hospital help, you basically have to come with money in hand.  They won’t operate till you have the money.  They do not provide your food…people bring it in to you.  There is a refrigerator in the room for use of the patients.  Some rooms had 6 patients in them; one patients was in a bed out in the hallway; beds were rusty, with lumpy old mattresses; paint peeling off the walls; you even have to pay, if you want the nurse to help you to the bathroom!  Enough said!  I was appalled, saddened, and thankful to have what we have!  WE HAVE SO MUCH! 
Well, it has been a terribly long day.  I did sleep the bus ride home.  But now it’s midnight, and we have a work day tomorrow!

Day 4…THE END!

P.S.  Some restrooms you use in town, you have to pay!  I don’t know if you are paying to use them or paying to use the toilet paper….but whichever, you have to pay!

No comments: