Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Around on our own...

Hey guys... glad you stopped by to check out the happenings today.

Yesterday was a good day. I felt better, we were able to do some exploring on our own, and even shopping as Beth had mentioned. JP and I walked down the road about a block and found an alley to get Beth some authentic sichuan cuisine. I found it. I saw a crowd of locals in a line to get some food from a sidewalk setup ran by 5 ladies. They had these tables set up with burners and a HUGE wicker basket full of steamed rice. It was 7.5 yuan, which is about $1.05 for lunch, you just get your styrofoam plate, get the rice and point to what you want. I got two plates and got some of all 6 dishes. It was definately good eating, unfortunately, Amie thought it might be a good thing to NOT nap while momma was eating and so she did not get toeat it all, it got cold during the napping crisis.

Jordan and I meanwhile made a venture down the shopping district and decided to do Pizza Hut.

WOW. That was different, food was good but it was a whole different way of doing pizza hut and i will let Jordan post about that later.

After lunch, JP and I went shopping for laundry soap, some snack stuff and the infamous bottles of "water". The store was quite interesting. More of a downtown quick mart, it had basic stuff you needed, and of course a whole liquor and cigarette section. The store stunk though, the entry you passed dried meats (looked like Dick Howards jerky but smelled like .... a yak barn needing cleaning.) The back of the store had a variety of dried "things" I recognized the dried sea skates, the intestines, the stomach linings, cracked bones with dried marrow, varios other dried parts of animals and I am sure they were both male and female reporductive organs!

In the afternoon, as Beth mentioned, we got out for a while leaving the two kids together. We had a good time shopping for a coat for AJ, BIG SALES in prep for Chinese new year!, had starbucks, and then went back for more bottled water and diapers. Back in the room, we sat for a while, I read, not sure what else was happening :) until it was time for dinner. At about 7 pm, we hopped a taxi, and went to a place recommended in the Lost Planet China travel Guide. Touted as a TEX-MEX that was very good, we decided togive it a try. Taxi ride took about 12-15 minutes and cost about $3 with the tip. Driver was not the best or the friendliest. When we finally got to this street with a TON of brightly lit restaurants, there was Peters "hacienda" style store front. The place was packed with a company party... 40 minute wait. We stood out front deciding what to do and after about 5 minutes, a couple of other white folk, (a man from scotland and his business companion, a man from houston texas)> Had a fun conversation with the scot while standing out front and after only about 15 minutes, there were tables for both parties. We sat upstairs and had a great view of the happenings. Nice place. Menus were great, steaks, mexican, general american, milkshakes. We ended up with a Beth having shreddded beef enchiladas, I had shredded beef hard shell tacos, and JP had a BLT!

We had a great dinner and enjoyed much. JP again will be rating these, but I will show you the pictures!

Getting back to the room about 10 pm, it was definately time for bed. New day in about 8 hours by AJ'sclock!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep, baby's clocks are all whacked up sometimes! Isaac has decided he doesn't want to nap anymore, but he still needs one and fell asleep in the car today :) Ah, what can you do! Give Ladybug snuggles from us, and hugs to JP and Beth!

Eyes_Wide_Open said...

Pizza hut and a BLT?

I'm disappointed Jordan.

;)