Monday, January 12, 2009

JP's Culinary quandry... to eat or not to eat.. Beijing Jan 9th log entry


Beijing Jan 9
Breakfast at Beijing hotel – Woke up feeling rather refreshed from the night before and at 8:00 in the morning I went to see what damage I could do to the buffet. Wow. It was awesome, starting out on the western side my plate gathered sausage both pork and chicken, bacon, fries, a roll, a disappointingly nasty doughnut, and an omelet. I found out that if you don’t want to be able to hear the little chick chirping as you eat it then tell the chef to cook it longer for you. On the Chinese side of the table I sampled some delicious fried rice and fried noodles, a steam cooked Hot Dim Sum dumpling (which has a type of sweet custard inside), Congee/Chinese oatmeal, and tea.
Meal rating
Food: 5
Service: 5
Overall: Tasted good after a long night


I must pause my writings on food for the moment and tell you of the current situation. I am typing this in the lobby of the Raddison, which is nice enough to harbor a bar in the lobby that is not really in a separate room. At Friday night there are many Chinese patrons here and they are providing great entertainment for me. One man was just carried passed out up to his room by the hotel attendants and another man (I assume a drinking buddy to the first) has gone around the revolving front door 5 times and counting. Wait, now he is talking to another drunk (who is also going in circles). Well the staff just removed them and it seems that there is not going to be more than those three for a while. SO, back to food.


Lunch Sichuan style Restaurant- Jon Davis came and picked us up for lunch and took us to a quaint looking hole in the wall place. Of the extensive menu I had a plate of beef and green peppers, steamed broccoli, sweet and sour pork, cucumber, an eggplant dish which was just the wrong taste for me, some chicken and peanuts in a vinegar flavored sauce, and Chrysanthemum tea. The dish that really stood out was Kung Pow Chicken with dried peppers and a spice called “ma”. Ma is a little ball that looks and feels like a very small rock, but when you crack it between your teeth it numbs the mouth. In Sichuan province it is used a lot along with many hot peppers that make your eyes water. Also during this meal I discovered that I am the proud parent of two canker sores. Luckily for you though, my father raised me to be impervious to pain in an effort to create an imitation of him in order to make the world a better place. I came fully equipped with matching profile and sculpted abs (which do require upkeep).
Meal rating
Food: 6
Service: 6
Overall: good meal with great company


Dinner Noodle place- Since Dad was not feeling good due to his emerging crisis, just my mom and I went down to the lobby where we met up with Melanie and David Procter. We walked down the street until they saw a type of restaurant that they had near them. As we approached the door a small Chinese man standing near the door saw us promptly smiled, opened the door, and yelled at us! A hilarious and obviously good natured greeting which the Proctors told us the restaurant did a lot. Mom and I let the Proctors order and soon it came. There was cashew chicken, dumplings, fried green beans and peppers with more ma, a very cool looking dish of potato string with cilantro, and Chrysanthemum tea. The stand out dish of the night was hot caramelized sweet potatoes which you picked off the plate and then dipped in water to break off the caramel strings. When we finish we started for the door and were ushered out with a parting, exuberant, yell.
Meal rating
Food: 6
Service: 7 (the yelling man made the meal complete)
Overall: would definitely go back a second time to enjoy the food and good times

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm impressed! Keep the foodie talk coming :)

Faith and Rick said...

Oh, Jordan, you make me smile!!

Rachel said...

Well i'm certainly impressed with the assortment of food choices!