Easy day today. We started out by many of the families going early to breakfast at 0745, and then we gathered there in the restaurant for a time of prayer corporately as a group. It was really nice to be with these families who are Christian and likeminded after being on our own for a week in Chengdu.
Now don’t get me wrong, we had an interesting visit in Chengdu and we were blessed by getting AJ3 (Amie Joy Jiu Jia), but the missing ingredient was fellowship and friendship and spiritual kinship with those we traveled with. Like the verse says "where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name".... strikes a chord when you are literally on your own in a foreign country in a city that has more people than the whole state of California.
After breakfast we went to the medical clinic on Shamian Island. Hmmmm what a rat race and a waste of money... Like Amy, our guide said, "if you think these doctors can give you better medical report than your family doctor back home... get a new doctor when you get home!" This formality is of course for the US consulate to process our I600 and visa request, so we willingly donated our $490 for a set of passport pictures and a trip to the inner city health clinic... WAIT... she is a Chinese citizen... Why am I paying for health care in a socialist society with managed health care...?? Does this seem weird to you. I wish that everyone at home in the United States who thinks that socialized/government run health care is the answer to our medical woes in the states would come spend a week trying to get help or treated here. I think they may be changing their mind.
As we walked around the island after the appointment, we shopped for souvenirs for family and things for memories... crazy... almost like predatory store techniques. Would not go over well at the mall at home, but hey, we had a good time anyway. The weather is great today, mid 70's, BLUE sky, and sunshine, pretty awesome. Beth is remembering what it is like to hall around a little sweaty body next to hers in hot weather. By the time we get done in the evenings, Beth has sore arms, and sore back from hauling the 21 pound wonder around. She has definitely taken to momma pretty well. She likes JP too. I, for some reason, am the last of the group she will come too.
She is learning to sign please and even looks at us every once in a while when we call her new name. It will be a while for her to adjust, I am glad that she is not attacked by Sophie right now, I think it would overwhelm her and they would both need some serious timeout therapy... or a good spanking. I know Sophie is anxious to take care of her little sister, I just pray for them both. Both are from provinces where they call the girls "spicy girls", and the both fit the moniker well.
As we spend our time here, we have only one real appointment left, which is to go to the US consulate for our "interview" at the window and our group swearing ceremony. For some reason, we can't get a flight out until Saturday; else we would leave on Friday like everyone else. Please this coming weekend. It will be your Friday afternoon, evening, and night when we travel. Specifically, we are praying for very smooth flight, a quiet little angelic girl, seats by ourselves... and hey, if God grants it, I am praying for free upgrades to business class. They always say, PRAY SPECIFICALLY, so I am! Mostly just pray for the quiet and easy flights.
A humbling thing about this trip that still amazes me is the response to my health crisis. EVERY morning, Guys question me as to how I feel and 3 or 4 of the guys actually put their hands on my and pray for me daily. I had 4 different people comment to me that their church and/or denomination had placed our family and my health on their prayer chain; this means that literally thousands of people who do not know me or my family our lifting us up to God in intercessory prayer.
An amazing thing about this is these folk in our group cover the gamut from a lady who is an ordained minister serving in a Four Square church in San Jose, a Elder from a Sothern Baptist Church, some non-denominational community church’s, evangelical Lutheran churches and the list goes on. Why might I be amazed at this? Well, we get stuck in our own little churches... with our own little ideas of what is "right" about what we believe. Creeds, Statements of Faith, Doctrines, call it what you will, but these are often great divisions in our spritual body. Do I believe the exact things they believe? No, but I know we share a common believe in the virgin birth, the trinity, the atonement of our sins by Christ's blood on the Cross, the Resurrection, and ultimately the second coming of Christ to claim those he has redeemed. In that broad statement, there are several points we could differ on how/why/etc... But you know what, when you are sick, needing hospitalization in a foreign country, do you think I vetted the list of people wanting to lift me up in prayer?? What a fool's errand that would be.
This trip has really helped to realign my thinking and refresh my mind that in spite of denominational differences, these believers are truly my family, my flesh and blood through Christ. I know many of you who are reading this blog, have gotten the links from people who on our trip as a prayer point to track our trip/my health and I thank you! You are a blessing to me and I am humbled by your desire to intercede on my behalf to the King of Kings. God is good isn't he!
To my church family back home in Klamath Falls Oregon at Immanuel Baptist Church, I thank God for your prayers and support during this adoption and in my time of need here in China. You are a wonderful family and we love you guys!
I will end this mid-day report, it is about 3pm here, JP is out car shopping at the Lamborghini store, Amie is asleep, I think a nap is in order for me as well.
God Bless you! - Paul
3 comments:
Tell JP to boy me a red one !!!!
Paul
Thanks for your comment regarding the prayers and intercession from your group and their churches back home.
I am in Chicago, and my family ministers at a Full Gospel Tabernacle. In fact, my wife is a staff minister for children and teen counseling.
We follow your blog, because she first heard about it when you adopted the first time. We have friends who were friends of folks who traveled with you the first time. So after a while, through various blogs etc, my wife ran across your wifes blog. And subsequently, we have followed your family journey since then, about 6 months ago. It is funny, that through the internet, we are connected by this "link" of vicarious living.
This past few weeks, after your departure we followed you to Beijing, and then to hospital. That was amazing. We were so concerned that in staff prayer before church that sunday morning, we actually changed our order of worship and as a church body lifted up intercessory prayer for you, your wife, your adoption and Gods hand upon you through the doctors.
Your comments about Doctrinal Differences made a big impact on me. I have often thought of "fundies" as narrow minded, and having the short end of the stick when it comes to faith. Yes, I have been very judgemental about evangelical conservatives! This last blog you wrote about doctrinal differences has touched me and my family deeply and we have repented to the Lord on High and ask your forgiveness as well.
This upcoming Sunday, our Head pastor, Brother Martin, will be teaching on the basis of your post and how it convicted his heart as well. We have been caught up as a "ethnic" church celebrating our turn in the white house with the coming of Obama. How sad we celebrate this racial difference, we are, just as you said, brothers and sisters with the common blood of Christ as our redemption.
May the Lord on High richly bless you my new friend. I look forward to the end of your journey.
- Peter LaMier
I was moved by your post as well, Paul. Thank you.
Post a Comment