Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A bit from Beth

Ok...since we seem to be having technical difficulty in uploading pictures, I will have to resort to journaling. I am not usually the prolific writer, but since I am the only one awake, I will make the most of my time. I have been waking consistently @ 4 am, so I usually get up and add some pictures, but for some reason, the uploading is not going well. I have to try lots of times, and usually just one picture at a time (instead of 5). Very frustrating! Of course, being from the privileged country of America, we are used having things RIGHT NOW!

SO... it's almost 5:30 am here, and I am crouched down on the floor with the computer, so the light from it doesn't bother the rest. DONT want to wake Amie...she is one busy little girl...and we are going a bit stir crazy in this tiny room! We left Jordan babysitting yesterday and went for a short walkabout. We are in the center of this city of millions...in the shopping district! and since they are gearing up for Chinese New Year, it is like the Christmas craze! And everybody seems to be converging here! Directly across from us is a huge, nice dept store...I would guess it might be like a Macy's. We shopped for a coat for Amie, hopefully to tone down the stares of the locals. We went out with her Tuesday, and I know, by local standards (and a lot of frowny stares) that she was way underdressed. So I am going to join them, at least for the next couple days and make her look like a little michilin baby. They dress the babies in more like snow suits.....its a cool 45-50 degrees here. Well, I couldn't find a snow suit... Finally had a very helpful sales person helped us with sizes and we found an appropriate coat. Now, they only need stare at us because some Americans are taking on of their own!


After the coat, we had a Starbucks...then went down the road a bit to a grocery for water. Paul and Jordan had gone earlier in the day, and came back with 2 big gallon jugs. Opened them up for a drink in the hotel, and found out they were vinegar! wow...that was a shock! We had a good laugh, as did the locals probably at foreigners buying 2 jugs of vinegar! (note from Paul here!!!! THIS IS NOT MY FAULT... I DONT READ CHINESE LABELS... BESIDES, JORDAN PICKED IT UP OFF THE SHELF...RIGHT NEXT TO THE BOTTLED WATER!



The rest of our walk consisted of taking in the local street traffic and being part of it. When crossing street, we hung very tightly with the rest crossing, because in China, if there is an empty space, it's an open invitation for anyone or anything (ie: bicycle, scooter, taxi, bus) to fill it! It's not rude to step in...if you have left space in front of you between you and the next person (what we in America would call personal space), it just says to the Chinese, I am not ready...you go ahead! So, we hung with the crowd...venders everywhere...selling everything from trinkets, to something we think look likes gopher head on a stick to eat! They have some skewered, cooked meat that looks pretty good, but mixed with the street smells...kind of takes the appetite away. Spitting everywhere! Beggars everywhere! Cell phones everywhere! I wish I could take more pictures of the people on the street, but I am not sure they would be too happy with me.

Hey...we interrupt this broadcast to note that picture uploading is working...yeah!

This is certainly different than last time...with no group to hang with. Kind of miss the comraderie and people to be with. Our paperwork should be done by noon, then we are off to the panda breeding grounds, to watch the pandas breed. Not really. But you can sit by an adult panda for a picture for $60 or hold a baby panda for $180.

Well, I will leave a few remarks left for Paul and Jordan...

Paul here.... i know. bad blogger, tardy typer, you can call me what ever you want! I promise to do better...uhmmmm I take that back. I will try to do better. The pictures you see below are not from "today" they are first night photos, and first bath photos which was Tuesday. She liked what we had to feed her. No telling how long it had been since she had eaten.















5 comments:

BigYakker said...

Very cute pictures! We can't wait to see her in person. Sophie is quite excited too! Hope you are having a great time over there and enjoying every moment!

Mainely Me said...

Sounds like an exciting time! I'm so glad Paul is feeling better. Little Amie appears to be enjoying your company and care. I love how Jordan seems to be opening his mouth for a bite as Amie is taking one.
Rice vinegar in those jugs? It's wonderful in a marinade for cucumbers and I like to use it in salad dressings sometimes. Enjoy your great adventure.

Unknown said...

Yay, picture of blankie in use!! Thanks so much :D *warm fuzzy for the day!*

Steph said...

Wow, that is one incredibly gorgeous little girl!! Now you have three beautiful daughters to worry about, Paul!!

The vinegar story is hysterical!!

We are hooked on checking your blog to see how you are all doing and to catch more glimpses of your newest angel!

Thank you for inviting us to be part of your precious journey!!

Take care,
The Pollaras
Steph, Andy, Lainey & Lucas

Eyes_Wide_Open said...

She is so, so beautiful!!

I enjoy reading all your travelling adventures. The vinegar cracked me up.